Saturday, June 07, 2008

Strega: A Burke Novel Strega: A Burke Novel by Andrew Vachss


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
New York city private detective and con man Burke nearly meets his match in a femme fatale who calls herself Stega, the Italian word for witch. An old jail house acquaintance of Burke's tracks him down and introduces him to this woman, who asks him to find and incriminating photograph. Burke's answer is priceless:



"I don't like the way you smell, lady. You stink of trouble, and I've got enough of my own."



But against his better judgment, he takes on the case, aided by his crew of motley accomplices: Mama, Max the Silent, The Mole, and the transsexual prostitute Michelle. Along the way, we learn a little more about Burke's mysterious past. This wasn't as consistent as the first Burke novel, Flood, but it was still very good if uncomfortable reading. Recommended for fans of of tough-guy detective novels.


View all my reviews.

Send comments to: Tim